Howdy!! Hope you are all having a fantastic start to summer!
Currently, our family is camping in British Columbia, Canada and getting to enjoy lake life during this summer season, which = us being very GRATEFUL!! So, I have been thinking about these long, and warm, summer days. And I thought I would share with you some of the ways I use essential oils during this season! Hope it gives you some ideas.
- Lavender is a MUST! I love to mix this with coconut oil (Shea butter too if you have it) to soothe skin from too much sun, sand and water. Having the Lavender Hand & Body Lotion from YL is a great option to soothe the skin as well. Lavender is also great for healing owies… think kids, running, bike riding… you get it. Many people love to add Lavender to their outdoor spray (more on this in a second) and it can also be effective for relieving bug bites and stings.
- Peppermint is very effective for cooling the skin. If you are too hot, try adding drops of peppermint with water in a spray bottle and misting (careful not to get into the eyes as it stings). The peppermint will help to cool you off, plus it is an effective way to deter outdoor pests. You should have peppermint available for any stomach discomforts, and it is great for healing aches and pains from those long hikes, bike rides, swimming, any of the summer activities you enjoy!
- Purification is a blend that I am never without during summer as it is the key blend in my Outdoor Spray recipe. Purification contains Citronella which as you may know is very useful at repelling bugs, but also contains Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree and Myrtle. I love to add Peppermint to this spray because it is super effective at repelling other bugs like wasps, spiders and many others. As mentioned, some people like to add Lavender to this spray as they say it becomes even more effective. For my family the recipe below has worked great, as is, for over 6 years, although when the bugs are really bad I do add extra drops of Citronella or some more Purification. Applying Purification to any bites my family may get to help relieve the sting or bite, and then I always follow up with Lavender. Purification is also great for diffusing in the trailer, as it makes everything fresh. This is especially welcoming since we have wet bathing suits and towels, we are cooking in a small space and campfire smoke which can come in the windows at times. So, for us, it is a MUST have!
- Digize is necessary for calming tummy trouble for the whole family. We make a roller which contains Digize, Peppermint and carrier oil so it is easy to use on ourselves or the kids. It is super helpful for tummies that have had too much sugar or junk, just too much food in general, and even too many beverages with friends. Also, in case anyone catches a virus of any kind, we NEVER travel without this oil!!
- The Seasonal Support Roller which is made from Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint, will let you get outdoors and enjoy without constantly feeling stuffy and full of sneezes. So, make a roller, use it and get outside!!
- Copaiba is another important oil for me because summer and travelling means I let myself indulge a little and I put on sunscreen more frequently. And these things mean bad news for my skin. Copaiba is my best friend when it comes to blemishes. I simply dab right onto the blemish at first sign and keep applying a few times per day. Sometimes the blemish never even fully forms and those that do are way shorter lived! My skin has been so much better since I switched to toxin-free beauty products, but for those trouble areas or periods of time, there’s Copaiba!
- For pain relief, I always carry Deep Relief and PanAway with me as well. They are my go-to blends for helping to relieve aches and pains. I have been dealing for a few weeks with a pinched nerve in my back, and it is finally releasing and starting to feel better. I have no idea what I would have done with alternating PanAway and Deep Relief throughout the day. They provide relief from the pain and work to relax the nerves and muscles for healing. Layer some Peppermint and Copaiba for an extra kick if you need it!
- Last but certainly not least, and while not essential oils but rather products infused with essential oils, they are some of my most favourite products EVER! The entire Thieves household line is a must for home and home-away-from-home! Thieves Household Cleaner is the best cleaner in the entire world! One bottle cleans the whole trailer (and house) inside and out, without the use of toxins. It smells great and works even better! I also have Thieves Foaming Hand Soap in the kitchen and bathroom, Thieves Hand Purifier is always present, Thieves Fruit & Veggie wash for our produce and the Thieves Laundry Detergent for doing our laundry at the campground. Must have products to ensure my family continues on this path of wellness!
Well, if you know me at all, you’ll know that I have way more oils with me than those listed above. But these are the ones that came top of mind for what I have been using so far during our trip. The items above are things to definitely consider having handy for all of those fun summer days!
Hope you and your family can get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather! We are basically living outside until September, and we couldn’t be happier about it! Have a great summer!
Yours in health,